Thursday 10 June 2010

Robert Foxx - "Stormy Monday"

During my second year at University, I was given the opportunity to adopt the role of both Art Director and Director of Photography.
We produced a Music Video for Blues singer/songwriter Robert Foxx.
The main theme for the Music Video was Film Noir. I am a great fan and appreciate the art and film style of Film Noir. I saw this as a great opportunity to explore Film Noir in greater detail.

This was my first time as an Art Director, and played an important factor in developing my interest in Art Direction.
My other role for this project was Director of Photography. I saw this as a great opportunity to broaden my horizons with camera, and to help develop my photography.

The following images are a short mock-up storyboard of the music video and the events within.


This project was a great learning experience for me, and gave birth to my interest in Art Direction. Unfortunately, the Video didn't perform as well as I hoped. During the editing process it was reveled that the performance wasn't really true to the music, particularly towards the band miming. This and some other conflicting, and typically Student errors made the Video seem less than what we hoped for.
None the less there are some strong factors I like in the video. I feel the style is unique and contributes well to the video and there are some strong shots regarding the photography side of things.

Here are some of my Favorite shots I like in the Video.


Detective Investigating first crime scene.
Nice Close-Up of singer and really cool Microphone.
Close-Up of Guitar performance.
Detective investigating second crime scene.
Femme Fetal walking away from body lying in a dark alleyway.
Close-Up of Femme Fetal, Devious and attractive smile.

Below is the Music Video we produced whilst in second year at University. As you can tell, there are some issues within, from lighting, concept/story, performance etc.
I find it easier if you approach the video with an open mind, however the video does have its good points.

Credits:
Producer/Director: Dominic Moss
Art Director/Director of Photography: Gordon Gray
Editor: Robert Smith
Camera Operator: David McClenaghan

I hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment